Tracie L. Miller-Nobles, CPA, is an associate professor at Austin Community College. She teaches introductory financial and managerial accounting, individual income tax, and tax research in both traditional and online formats. She has teaching experience at the community college and university level. Prof. Miller-Nobles received her master’s degree in accounting from Texas A&M University and is working on her doctoral degree in Adult Education also from Texas A&M University. Her research interest includes financial literacy education, adult learning theories, and online learning. She has public accounting experience with Deloitte Tax LLP.
Prof. Miller-Nobles is on the Board of Directors for the American Accounting Association (AAA) as Director-Focusing on Members. She has served in leadership roles for AAA’s Teaching, Learning, and Curriculum section and AAA’s Two Year College section and was a member of the Pathway’s Commission on Accounting Higher Education. Prof. Miller-Nobles also is on the Board of Directors for Teachers of Accounting at Two-Year Colleges (TACTYC) as Secretary/Webmaster. She is an active member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) Financial Literacy committee. At the state level, she serves on the Relations with Educational Institutes for the Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants (TSCPA).
Michael and Mary Anne Cook Prize, American Accounting Association, 2015
Outstanding Accounting Educator, Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants, 2012
CPA of the Year, Austin Chapter, Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants, 2016
The George Krull/Grant Thornton Teaching Innovation Award, Honorable Mention, 2016
Selected Educational Leadership Positions:
- Board of Directors, American Accounting Association, 2017
- Board of Directors, Teachers of Accounting at Two Year Colleges, 2008-present
- Chair, Pre-Certification Education Executive Committee, American Institute of CPAs, 2013
- Co-Chair, Conference on Teaching and Learning Accounting (CTLA), American Accounting Association, 2010-2012
- Treasurer, Teaching, Learning, and Curriculum Section, American Accounting Association, 2015-2017
- Chair, Two Year Section, American Accounting Association, 2010-2012
Favorite Teaching Books:
- Brookfield, S. D. (2015). The skillful teacher. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Knowles, M. S., Holton, E. F., & Swanson, R. A. (2012). The adult learner. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Medina, J. (2014). Brain rules. Seattle, WA: Pear Press.
Outside of work:
In her spare time, Tracie enjoys spending time with her husband, Kevin, his three kids, Caleb, Josh, and Meggie, her parents, Kipp and Sylvia, and sister, Michelle. She believes that camping and hiking is restorative and calming and that life was meant for good friends and great adventures. Tracie has been mentored by many wonderful colleagues and inspired by her students.